Jo Malone: Pomegranate Noir Cologne Review


I recall the first time I lay my foot into Jo Malone London (JML) and took a simple whiff off this hidden gem. My initial reaction was “Wud? Who would wear this?”. Little did I know, I had just pushed away one of the many classic nosed by non-other than Jo Malone MBE herself. 

As my JM collection grew, i realized there’s something missing in my collection. As I peer upon my fragrance “drawer”, I came into realization that all this time I was lost in the maze of the mainstream (don’t get burned! LOL), tangled by blossoms and fruity fragrance. My collection was a very “safe” choice, deprive from any colognes that could actually bring dissonance of what we perceive as the norm for the mass market. 

Alas, it was not for long. I came into my senses to try out this opulent scent after my SA stashed in its infamous Bath and Hand Wash Gel for me to try out with my recently purchased Plum Blossom Cologne. Upon first lather, I came into realization of what I have been missing out all this time.  

Pomegranate Noir has a rather simple pyramid construction as per JML website, starting with Pomegranate to Casablanca Lily and based out with Guaiac wood. Nosed by Jo Malone MBE, her creation soon became one of the house’s signature scent along with Lime Basil and Mandarin and Nutmeg and Ginger (discontinued). 


Initial spritz welcomes you with a blast of citrus, most prominently plum and pomegranate with subtle hint of watermelons. Soon after, its heart starts to radiate, pricking out some spiciness developed by the cloves and pepper which were garnished with Casablanca lily and guaiac wood. To reinforce its richness, the base consists of prominent cedar and patchouli to toss things up, delivering a full blast of aromatic darkness to anyone who passes by. 

Due to its complexity, it may not appeal to the mass market upon first encounter. In Malaysia, English Pear and Freesia was the king of JML starter pack while Pomegranate Noir appeals more towards the Western and Middle Eastern market. Thus, we could only see English Pear being dressed up nicely for last year’s Christmas Limited Edition while Pomegranate Noir did not get the love that it deserves. 

Coming back, the metamorphic ability of this concoction enhances its feasibility to be worn during any seasons of the year. For those who wanted to step out of the norm, it radiates warm dark citruses in the summer while otherwise, changes to become envelopes you in a warm scent during the winter. As expected, this refined juice is a beast! Being able to last out more than 8 hours one me before fading out to become a skin scent. Though, you will still be able to catch a few whiffs on-and-off after the dry-down.

*Image courtesy goes to Jo Malone London. 

-Willy-

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.